HONG KONG: The good + the bad





After being in Hong Kong for over a month now I've fallen head over heels in love with this enchanting place.

I've explored new places, tried new foods and settled really well into my new job.

So obviously I thought it'd be a grand idea to share the good and the bad things about Hong Kong with you! There's a LOT of good...I might be biased but MAYUUUUN it's just so GOOD okay?



The good:

  • The hot weather! Oh mamma I can lie on a beach aaaallll day and just soak up that gorgeous sun! (Newsflash: it's even hotter than Australia!)
  • The variety of weather! (lol soz it's not all going to be about weather) but as well as it being super hot, it can also have rainy days or crazy storms. So if you ever visit Hong Kong, always expect the unexpected. 
  • THE FOOD. Literally, all the food. Come @ me hun xo
  • THE TRANSPORT! You can get anywhere in Hong Kong for so flipping cheap! You can even go Island Hopping and visit some beautiful beaches for the same price as some god damn toilet roll. The tube is so speedy and catching a ferry can be super fun.
  • There's a McDonalds on every corner. Literally. I don't even have to explain why this is a good thing.
  • YOU CAN GET CLOTHES AND JEWELLERY AND SHOES AND MAKEUP FOR MEGGA AFFORDABLE PRICES. (but still really great quality.) #omgzzzz I need a shopping partner to hold me back because everything needs throwing into my basket RAYT NOW.
  • Accommodation is really easy to find! There's apartments everywhere...and I mean everywhere.
  • They have a Disney Land! (and lots of other insane sights to see of course.)
  • Hong Kong has two vibes. Crazy city life, or peaceful beach life. It's amazing having the two options to choose between. I never expected Hong Kong to be so quiet and relaxing in some parts...but I was pleasantly surprised! 
  • The noodles are bang on. Mmm. (Also YAY I learnt how to use chopsticks!) CAN I GET A HELL YEAH?!
  • The contrast of old and new. You can look to your left and see an aesthetically haunting and practically-crumbling-down building, then look to your right and see a shiny, huge skyscraper. It's really interesting!
  • The nature! There's parks where lil' moneys run around and so many beautiful, natural, places that are must-see.
  • There's a strip of bars where everyone goes clubbing and it's absolutely MENTAL. Everyone is dancing on the streets, people are sipping on their beers that they bought from seven eleven, music is blasting from every venue. Wow. It's just an incredible vibe. It's like being in Ibiza! (I'm not even lying.)
  • An amazing thing about Hong Kong is the convenience! For example you can pay your bills and taxes at the local corner shop. (7/11)  Like WHAT?! My mind is actually blown. There's no excuse now! 
  • Everything is normal in Hong Kong. Carrying a huge fridge down the street? Normal. Having a rainbow coloured umbrella attached to your head? Totally normal.

The bad:

  • You've probably already guessed what my first point will be...HOW BUSY IT IS! (This can also be a good thing) but it can get kind of overwhelming when all you want to do is go buy a bottle of water and you've got to waddle through crowds of people. Here is a shot I got of the MTR once!

  • The pollution. I never really believed how bad it would be...and when I first arrived I didn't really notice how bad the air can actually be. But after a good month here I've developed the lovely Hong Kong cough. :)(: yay! 
  • Although most of the food is delicious, you have to be really careful of the meat. People often like to cook their chicken on the pink side. My body is so not used to that AT ALL, so I steer clear of things like that.
  • There isn't anywhere to put your rubbish! Of course there's bins dotted around the streets which is great. But in Hong Kong they don't have BIG bins. Y'know, like the black and green bins you have outside your house. So like, erm...WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?! The answer to that is try not to collect any rubbish at all. However this is quite tricky because I drink bottled water. So you just have to stuff all your bin bags into the street bins which just feels weird and wrong.
  • The humidity! Sheesh, it's bad.
  • EVERYONE STARES AT ME?!?!?! Maybe it's because I genuinely am a bit of a weirdo. But yeah. I  don't know if I get stared at out of curiosity because I'm English maybe? I've discussed this with a lot of other English girls who live here who experience the same. So if you ever visit Hong Kong, be prepared to be looked at intensely everywhere you go. (hi!)
  • People walk so sloooowwlllyyyy. I DON'T UNDERSTAND!? The transport and tubes are so full on and high paced, yet walking is the complete opposite. I feel like I'm constantly dodging around turtles on the Mario Kart game or something. GALS GOTTA BE FIRST PLACE.
  • How small the accommodation is. It's super tiny! Eek.

So there we have it!

My first impressions of Hong Kong and what I've noticed to be the good and the bad.

Even though there are bad aspects, I absolutely LOVE it here and I can't wait to add even more good points onto my list!

All my love,

Claire 



Popular Posts